Galway Bay Swim 2019
08:30 - 16:00
Frances Thornton Memorial Galway Bay Swim - July 2019
Registrations for the Galway Bay Swim will open in March 2019. If you would like to be notified when registration opens, please click on REGISTER and fill in your contact details. We will then email you 1 week before registrations open on Eventbrite.
A list of FAQs about the swim registration is listed below
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)HOW MANY SWIM PLACES ARE THERE? In 2019, there are 55 solo swimmer slots and 25 relay slots (teams of 2-4 swimmers) for the Galway Bay swim. Unfortunately, as it is a popular swim, due to safety reasons and the availability of support boats, not all applicants can be offered a slot in the Galway Bay swim. WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM AGES LIMITS FOR SWIMMERS? The minimum age for all swimmers (Solo and Relay) is 18 years on the day of the swim. CAN I ENTER IN MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY (SOLO & RELAY)? No - you can only swim in one category as either a solo OR a relay team member. Safety rules in place for the swim require that there is only 1 swimmer in the water for each boat. If you wish to swim the full distance across the bay, then you must enter as a Solo swimmer and have your own boat to accompany you. If you are swimming as part of a Relay team, then you must exit the water onto your support boat after you complete your section of the bay swim. HOW DO I APPLY FOR THE GALWAY BAY SWIM? WHAT ARE THE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS? Registration opens in March each year and is completed online through Eventbrite. Registration closes on July 1st or whenever all swim places are allocated – whichever occurs first. Applications are then reviewed by the Galway Bay Swim Committee and you will be contacted directly if additional information is required (such as your prior open water swimming experience). If there are no queries on your application, swimmers are then offered a slot on the swim on a first come first served basis once they fulfill the following criteria:
- Provide your own boat (and Captain) to guide you on the swim. Note: the type of boat most suitable is a 5-metre Rigid Inflatable Boat (RIB) with a 50HP engine. Insurance must be in place for the boat. A VHF radio and lifejackets for all crew members are mandatory on each boat. You may be required to submit your boat for a pre-boat safety inspection prior to the swim. As a general rule, jet skis, lake boats or boats not used regularly on the ocean are NOT acceptable.
- Provide one crew member on the boat that will assist you (with food, water, moral support, etc.) on the swim. Note: The Captain’s job is to drive the boat, to navigate and for safety – the swimmer is responsible for providing their own crew member.
- Have your boat Captain complete the boat safety checklist and declaration on the Forms section of the website: CLICK HERE: http://galwaybayswim.com/forms/
- Complete the Medical and Swimmer Waiver form and submit no later than 1st July 2019. CLICK HERE: http://galwaybayswim.com/forms/
- Complete the 4km open water swim time trial in Salthill (held in June each year) in a time of under 95 minutes. (2km open water swim for relay team members in under 50 minutes).
- Pay the €50 application fee online via Eventbrite and commit to raising €500 (€1000 for Relay Teams) for our charity – Cancer Care West. (Note the €50 application fee goes towards your fundraising target)
Note: If you turn up at the swim start without a SWIM TOW-FLOAT, then you will not be allowed to enter the water.
A full list of FAQ's are provided on our main website: CLICK HERE
Note: Any changes to the above rules can only be made with the prior approval of the Galway Bay Swim Committee.
Are you an event organizer?
The event will be recommended to interested users.