Responding to Distressed People: Faculty of Health Sciences (23rd July 2019)
TCD STAFF ONLY - Faculty of Health Sciences Staff
Responding to Distressed People
- This experiential workshop aims to equip people with the skills, knowledge and confidence to support others who are experiencing distress.
- The workshop covers active listening, boundaries and referral skills, and active participation is encouraged and facilitated.
- It is hoped that people will gain a sense that they can feel more confident to engage with others who are in distress with a view to hearing their story, minding themselves in doing so and feeling equipped to consider suggestions they can make about where further support can be found.
Delivered by Mark Robinson: Student Counselling Service
- Mark joined the Student Counselling Service in 2011. He attained a Higher Diploma in Psychology and a Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, both through Trinity College Dublin. Prior to studying psychology he studied economics and philosophy to degree level. He meets with students for individual counselling as well as facilitating workshops and groups. He has gained experience working therapeutically with people of all ages from a wide variety of backgrounds and across a wide variety of settings. Mark practices as an integrative therapist drawing on humanistic, emotion-focused, psychodynamic and cognitive behavioural frameworks. He has a particular interest in how we make meaning of our experiences of painful emotion.
- The Student Counselling Service is located just off the main college campus, on the 3rd floor of an office building in South Leinster Street. We are a few doors down from the National Art Gallery and right across the road from Insomnia Coffee Shop.
To view our location on Google Maps, please click here.
- Cancellation Charge: There is no cost for staff attending our courses, but your department will be liable for a charge of €150 if you fail to show without 48 hours prior cancellation by email to
- Approval for Attendance: Please note that your manager needs to be aware of any planned absence from your area, please discuss with your manager/head of school in advance of booking.
- Food Requirements: We offer a light lunch on our full day courses which consists of sandwiches, wraps, tea /coffee. We endeavour to accommodate allergies including coeliac; shellfish/nut allergies; and vegan/vegetarian staff (Please notify us in advance). However we rely on the capacity of providers in this regard. Participants are encouraged to make their own arrangements where this better meets their requirements. As this is a morning event, there will be tea/coffee biscuits at the breaktime.